Saturday, December 15, 2012

December Daily: Days Thirteen & Fourteen

Day Thirteen: Not very exciting!  I spent most of the afternoon trying to finish up some Christmas cards.  I am not on the ball when it comes to cards this year.  Max made a card with me before he went to school.  He wouldn't let me get a photo of him holding it so I just took a pic of it on the table.  I also thought it would be cute to include the postage stamps for my cards this year. 
Day fourteen-wow. just unbelievable and heart wrenching.  A parent's worst nightmare.  So many emotions on this day.  The holidays are a happy, joyous time filled with tradition and "events".  I had some fun activities planned around baking with the boys on this Friday night.  I was so unsure as to how I was going to do my day fourteen.  I decided that I had to include something about the shooting that took place in Newtown, Connecticut.  I journaled about my feelings and how thankful I was to watch my boys walk safely off of their school bus.  It certainly was not something that I wanted to discuss with my six year olds, so we went on with our candy making plans as scheduled.  My oldest found me with tears in my eyes when he arrived home, so we talked about what happened.  I included a photo from facebook in one of the pockets as a remembrance to those victims and their families.
So what do you think?  When doing a December Daily album, do you include a horrific event such as this?  It certainly effected me greatly, so I thought it was an important thing to discuss in the album.  Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Emily

3 comments:

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I'm not doing this sort of project (wish I had), but I absolutely love how you added the stamps in there! Simply wonderful idea.

Cynthia said...

I struggled with what to say or not to say about the events in Connecticut too. I think your layout is perfect...not ignoring the tragedy, but not making it a focal point of the day. I really like your balance of remembrance and hope.

Linda Jordan said...

Gorgeous pages!! I love the snowflake paper and the calendar :)